Tuesday 25 July 2017

Justice League SDCC 2017 Trailer

So the latest Justice League trailer was dropped at San Diego Comicon over the weekend, and I have to admit that I'm pretty excited by it. So here's hoping the film is a good as the trailer made it look.

Now, I'm one of those people who wasn't particularly enamoured by Man of Steel or Dawn of Justice, but this looks like a step in the right direction. They seem to have managed to insert more humour, without copying Marvel Studio's brand of sarcasm and quips, whilst simultaneously keeping their high-intensity action scenes. In short, they've managed to evolve their universe to be a little more light-hearted and heroic, whilst still retaining their own sense of identity separate from Marvel. However, we still have yet to see whether the address the concerns with editing and storytelling that many people had with Dawn of Justice and Suicide Squad; but here's hoping.


We also got our first proper looks at Aquaman, and The Flash, and they both look great. Aquaman looks like an action hero straight from the nineties, and Flash clearly comes across as a kid out of his depth. The humour from both of them was excellent, and their characters came across strongly in what little we saw of them. For example, Aquaman riding that parademon to the ground tells us that he clearly enjoys the fight, even if he thinks that they're “all gonna die”; or Flash's lit bit where Wonder Woman and Batman disappear, and he's left standing there by himself.

Only real problem I had was that it looked like the Amazons were going to be slaughtered by Steppenwolf, which as a comics-reader has me rolling my eyes. Mediocre writers in the comics often slaughter the Amazons a bit too often, and it starts to lose its effect after a while. Not to mention, it makes it seem seem weak, and can look like the writers have something against the Amazons.

That said, I'll hold myself back a little, this is sort of a personal hang-up that comes from reading the source material. The Amazons had a great showing in Wonder Woman, and I really hope that they survive this one. Also, Steppenwolf attacks Atlantis too, and I assume they survive long enough to show-up in Aquaman.

However, there is one more thing I want to talk about, another little rumour that has started making the rounds, and which could prove very interesting if it is true.

©Warner Bros.

So this was the main point I wanted to talk about. In this shot we see that Bruce Wayne is looking at a shot or what is presumably a Kryptonian, according to Steppenwolf's “no Kryptonian” line, and at first I thought it was Superman, as I'm sure many people did, due to the red cape. However, there is a moment where the cape flutters back, and we get a glimpse of what appears to be a bare leg above a bare of red boots.

Now perhaps my Superman knowledge is not as thorough as it should be, but as far as I'm aware, Superman never wore a costume that bared his legs. However, there is one Kryptonian character that has had a couple of costumes that bared their legs; Supergirl. Notably, her New 52 outfit was one that showed a bit of leg, and the DCEU thus far has seemingly taken inspiration from the New 52 era.

Now, I don't think that Supergirl will actually be appearing in Justice League, not outside of a hologram at least; but I might be a teaser for the future? Or this could mean the Batman is now in possession of the technology from the Kryptonian ship, after Lex screwed-up in Dawn of Justice.

Now to be clear, I don't think that Supergirl will actually appear in Justice League, but we might get references to her, and even see the full holgram. It would still be pretty interesting if it's true though, as it could potentially indicate Kara Zor-El making an appearance in the main DCEU, which would be nice.

Or perhaps people (including myself) are reading too much into things, and making a mountain out of a molehill, who knows. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Until next time,


PhoenixAct.

No comments:

Post a Comment