Tuesday 18 July 2017

A Female Doctor Could be Fine Too

Okay, so I guess that it's opinion time. Please remember that this is just a personal opinion, and I'm not trying to invalidate yours.

So, the BBC recently announced who will be playing the next Doctor, and it's a woman, Jodie Whittaker to be precise; and a lot of people have had some very strong opinions about this. My immediate reaction to this was intrigue, it is after all, taking an old character in a new direction. Albeit, a very controversial direction.


Personally, I don't mind that they've decided that The Doctor is no longer strictly male, it's been established for several years now that Time Lords can change sex during a regeneration, since at least “The Doctor's Wife”. On top of which the character drastically shifts in both appearance and personality each time anyway, essentially becoming a more or less completely person in each iteration, even if they retain most of their memories. For me, the success or failure of the thirteenth Doctor is going to depend on other factors, such as the ability of the actor, or the way she is written.

On the first point I have no real complaints, although the only performance I have seen of Jodie Whittaker's was in Broadchurch as Beth Latimer. She performed well enough, but the character was a lot different than what will likely be expected of her as The Doctor. Broadchurch was a much grittier and down-to-earth show, whereas Doctor Who will be much more energetic, with quite a bit of off-beat humour. Although, she was in both St. Trinians and Attack the Block, so she presumably has some experience with performing comedy.

The only real concern for me is the writing. I believe it is a given that there will be a certain meta element to the initial couple of episodes; this is the first time that The Doctor has been a woman, so a certain amount of in-universe commentary is natural. They must also address how women were treated at certain points in history, although not in a heavy-handed way; it would be strange for a woman to be treated the same in both Victorian Britain, and the far-flung future.

For example, The Doctor being a woman could give us a closer look at historical events like the suffragette movement, where a male Doctor might have trouble getting to the centre of the movement. So a female Doctor might be able to give a refreshing new take on old ideas. My only real concern would be the new Doctor's femininity becoming her sole defining characteristic.

That said, I would hope that the BBC does not employ writers that can not create well-rounded, three-dimensional characters.

So in essence I am advocating for a wait and see approach. I have no real issue with The Doctor's most recent change, and am perfectly willing to give the latest incarnation a fair chance, so expect to hear more from me around Christmas.

Once again, I stress that this is my own personal opinion, so feel free to disagree.

No comments:

Post a Comment