Saturday 26 August 2017

Gamescom 2017

So Gamescom came and went over the last week, and I thought I would talk about that a little bit. Now obviously larger sites than this have covered the even, and I can't compete with them. So I thought I would just mention what were some of the highlights for me.

So, let's take a look.



Copyright © Nintendo

First up is something that I'm probably unreasonably hyped for; Metroid: Samus Returns. I've spoken before about the mistakes up to this point so I'm cautious, but also hopeful, that this one will put things back on track.

The trailer was about the basics of the game, describing the weapons, and more importantly the new Aeon abiliities. Notably, it revealed that the final ability allows the player to temporarily stop time. Given that this is a full remake, the game world has probably been redesigned, and rebalanced to account for these extra skills.

Other than that, the trailer was competently put together, and helped to set the mood for the game, Overall, it is nice to see this game getting something proper advertising.

Next we have the new Shenmue, a game whose existence shocked everyone when it was announced at E3 2015. Again, nothing really all that notable to see, it simply showed-off some new locations and environments, but still, it was nice to actually see something after nearly two years of silence. Very reassuring.  
Copyright © SEGA

The characters in the trailer looked a bit stiff, and did not have any facial animations, which is a bit worrying. However, I expect that will be fixed well in time for the official release.

Last, but certainly not least, was something of a huge surprise for me, but also something that got me really excited. The Fear Effect games were amongst my favourite on the original Playstation, and Reinvented is stated to be a remake of the first game.
Copyright © Square - Enix

There is not much to this yet, except for a very short announcement trailer, but I'd like to speculate on one point. I wonder whether they're gonna incorporate points from Retro Helix, elements that had not been thought of when the original was made. It would not be unusual for a remake to add to the story of the original game, take the 2003 remake of Resident Evil for example. In particular, I wonder if we're going to see anything of Rain, it might be interesting to see how she would effect the narrative.

So, that's more or less it, not really a lot of details, but these three were the highlight of the event for me. So, what were your favourite events or announcements from Gamescom 2017?


Until next time,


PhoenixAct.

No comments:

Post a Comment